Tuesday 29 October 2013

Planting an Idea

For a long time I have been drawn to the idea of walking round as much of the coast of Scotland as I can.  Looking back I realize it all started when I read the book Two Feet, Four Paws by Spud Talbot-Ponsonby a few years ago.  I dismissed the idea as unattainable.  Certainly I could never do it all in one go.  Too much of the rest of life to live.  Then on my 48th birthday Rick took us on a walk from the Isle of Whithorn to Burrowhead and all the feelings came flooding back.  I love the coast - not the packed holidaymaker beach and sandcastle coast but the rugged, wild, windy and dramatic coast.  In essence, the coast of Scotland.  I work near the coast - fields running to the water's edge, boats bobbing about in the harbours, waves crashing over the sea wall and most of all the smell of the sea.
So with that walk the idea was born that I should just try and walk as much of the coast of Scotland as possible.  Firstly the idea was to start when I am 50 next year and try and complete the walk in 10 years but why wait?  So, counting that walk on my 48th birthday as the first one, another for a few miles north of Garlieston as the second one, I am now walking and counting the miles.
Therefore today, our silver wedding anniversary, was walk number three.  Eggerness Farm to Garlieston.  Rick, myself and 8 year old Max plus the two dogs, parked the car at the top of the bay and walked up the farm path and found ourselves in the farmyard.  Thankfully, we know the lady who lives there and when her partner came out of the barn we were able to introduce ourselves.  Although there are no trespass laws in Scotland we always want to be considerate of other people, and landowners so it was good to meet him.  He very kindly showed us the way into the woods behind the farm, past a ruined castle lookout and through some fields.  This path took us down into the woods again and then right along the shore back to the car.  We did get very wet with the heavy showers and I certainly should have worn my waterproof trousers but I thoroughly enjoyed it and definitely want to add more coastal walks to my list.
When we reached the car Rick and Max and the dogs drove around the head of the bay to the village but I wanted to make sure I walked it so I walking the short distance before meeting them and driving into the village to call at the shop for a couple of Cream of Galloway Ice creams.
The journey begins - my footsteps by the sea!!


No comments:

Post a Comment