Monday 25 November 2013

Birthday Walk Around Brighouse Bay

As I was working on my 49th birthday we decided to do something two days before and I chose to do a little more of my coastal walk.  I am beginning to realise the magnitude of the task I have set myself of walking the coast of Scotland since we have had the map on our kitchen wall and this day was only managed around 3.5 miles for various reasons, not least that I wasn't feeling 100%.
We parked the car at the side of a small bay and walked straight down onto the flat sandy beach and of course immediately got side tracked with finding interesting things washed up on the beach.


 Once we had crossed the small bay, which involved jumping over a very fast flowing stream running onto the beach, during which Talitha and I both got our feet wet, we stepped over rock pools onto a path which skirted the bay.  This path led up into trees, past a caravan park and up onto cliffs.  It was a cold clear day with lovely views out to sea.  The sea was really blue and we enjoyed pretending that the buoys we saw bobbing about at the head of each small rocky inlet were seals or some other interesting wildlife.  We spent a few moments at the head of one particularly rocky cove imagining the Famous Five pushing their rowing boat up onto the rocks in search of another adventure.
All along the path were signs pointing out things of interest, some year round interest and some pointing out seasonal varieties like bluebell or snowdrop.
Once we reached the top of the cliffs we turned inland at a style and followed the path for quite a long way around a golf course before descending through some fields to meet a lane which took us back to where the car was parked.
Another beautiful walk with some of my favourite people in a stunning part of Scotland where we are privileged to live

No comments:

Post a Comment